Due to the current postholder wishing to wield his baton further afield, we are embarking on the search for a new Musical Director. We love to sing a
varied and challenging repertoire that is ‘out of the box’ – not always what the audience expects – and we’d like an MD who can take the choir to new and dizzy heights.
We are looking for someone who:
- Is an exceptional, highly talented and motivated musician
- Has a wide knowledge of a range of choral music
– Has the ability to communicate their enthusiasm and passion
- Has a diplomatic and tactful approach
- Has proven experience of directing and conducting a choir
- Is able to nurture and develop the choir to enable them to perform at their best
- Has keyboard skills to support rehearsals on occasion
- Has the ‘WOW’ factor, which will persuade the ladies to turn out to rehearsals on a wet and windy Wednesday night in Rochdale
You will be required to:
- Select challenging and enjoyable repertoire (the ladies sometimes have strong opinions)
- Rehearse each week and conduct concerts
- Attend committee meetings as required
- Provide an annual performance review for the AGM
- Have strong leadership skills
Please see Job Description below.
We meet every Wednesday evening, 7.30-9.30pm, in Rochdale.
Interviews will be held, and shortlisted candidates will then be invited to audition with the choir.
Please send your expression of interest to Jackie Holt
(firstname.lastname@example.org) together with your CV.
JOB DESCRIPTION- MUSICAL DIRECTOR
To achieve the optimum performance of which the choir is capable – by conducting
concerts and, through rehearsals, developing the singing ability and musical
appreciation of members.
1. Conduct concerts to an agreed annual schedule, currently one in each of the autumn and summer terms, plus other engagements as mutually agreed.
2. Plan weekly rehearsals. If unable to attend to ensure that the cover MD is given planning for the rehearsal in time for them to be familiar with rep.
3. Conduct all weekly rehearsals, except where agreed when cover shall be arranged by the MD.
4. Choose the music repertoire to create a balanced programme with content that is
challenging and demanding and yet still appealing to audiences. This is to be done in
collaboration with the treasurer and chair who will advise re budgetary limits.
5. Attend committee meetings where possible.
6. Present a review of the year, in performance terms, at the AGM.
7. Occasionally undertake additional tasks, such as recording sessions or additional
one-off concerts, by agreement with the Committee.
8. Generally promote the good name of the choir.
9. Give at least two terms’ notice of intention to resign from the position.
CONDITIONS OF APPOINTMENT:
The position becomes vacant on 1.5.19
You will be engaged by the choir on a self-employed basis.
A fee of £ xx will be paid for each rehearsal and / or concert performance. (Initial fees will be negotiated at time of offer of appointment).
- The competition (please see below for details) is now closed. We were delighted that the commission was won by brilliant young composer and University of Manchester alumnus, Chris Roe. For more information about Chris and his work, check out his website chrisroemusic.com
- For photos of the first rehearsal of his commissioned work, Visions of Paradise, held on 1st March 2015, and of the world premier performance at the Royal Northern College of Music on 18th July 2015, please see our Gallery.
- For further details of the concert please see our News.
- For information about Greater Manchester Police Male Voice Choir, visit their website gmpmvc.com
Greater Manchester Police Male Voice Choir and Cantare Ladies Choir of Rochdale scoured the North West for a young composer, under the age of thirty, to compose a special new choral work to be performed at a joint concert in a prestigious Manchester venue in summer 2015.
The choirs came together to perform several other works, including Fauré’s Requiem and Bob Chilcott’s A Little Jazz Mass, alongside the newly commissioned piece, at the refurbished RNCM Concert Hall in July 2015. The choirs offered a commission fee of £1,000 as well as support throughout the composition process, including workshops and the opportunity to try out ideas with the choirs.
For further details, please download the application form below (PDF format) or contact conductor Michael Betteridge on email@example.com